Saturday, March 29, 2008

Utter Brilliance

About a month ago, Susan and I finally got a chance to see Julie Taymor's musical directorial debut, "Across the Universe." I'd seen her work in the directing of "Frida" about artist, Frida Kahlo, which was also visually brilliant.

But the way this film was made has literally changed my life. It's one of the most visually stunning works I have ever seen.

Critics have lambasted it for being somewhat of a long music video, but I totally disagree. Only Taymor could take the Beatles songbook and weave it into a linear narrative that takes viewers on a kaleidoscope tour of the 1960's via a group of friends, who are thrust together from various points "Across the Universe."

There are too many nuances to mention here, but when I saw it in the movie theatre--a rare treat for $1.75--I didn't take my eyes from the screen once.

The editing, the choreography, cinematography, and last but not least, the performances of the lead characters really gel together.

Since we've experienced the film, we've bought the extended version DVD, and we've screened it for friends about three times now, and I am not sick of it at all. For me, it's like watching Coppola's Godfather I and II. I can watch both of those films to 'infinity and beyond' and never tire of their cinematic genius as well.

Ms. Taymor cares about every detail, and--to me--she's a genius, hands down. We saw her production of "The Magic Flute" at the Met in NYC, last Christmas, and it was just as brilliant. She is a rare talent, and I envy her genius.

It's definitely a gift.

If you have not seen the film, rent it, Pay-Per-View it, or buy it. You will not be sorry that you did.

I am now a true-blue fan of Ms. Dana Fuchs. She plays "Sadie" in the film. Without sounding like Rex Reed, Dana Fuchs is FAB-U-LOUS!!!

And she's damn hot too. I hope she will come down to Atlanta, after her European tour.

Here are some clips from the film: Hopefully, you will see them before they get yanked.

The first is one of the best, in my opinion. Who else but Taymor would come up with these visuals for the song, "I Want You...I Want You So Bad, Baby?" It's the Uncle Sam poster that hooked me into this scene, and I never looked back.

This scene is so relevant today, as it is in the film.





And here is another, brilliant performance by Ms. Dana Fuchs as "Sadie."




A fun, fun scene, which makes me want to go bowling with my socks on, and my favorite song:




Finally, my favorite scene:




Visit Dana Fuchs' website/blog:

Dana Fuchs

No comments: